Wednesday, May 16, 2012

When I started my blog, it was with the intention that I would focus mainly on Wolfey's health and behavioral issues.  I hoped that I might be a resource for anyone else dealing with these issues.  As often happens, life got in the way and I veered off course.  I'm hoping to get back on track now and spend a little time talking about Pup.

Wolfey had been pretty badly abused when he came to me, and consequently we had some issues to work through.  Foolishly, I thought that one he was healthy everything would be downhill from there.  Wolfey has been with me for 8 years now (okay, it will be 8 years in July) and we're still working.  There are a lot of things he's over completely.  He no longer cowers in the corner when I take off my shoes (I assume he used to be beaten with shoes), has uncontrollable accidents every time I leave (turned out he had rip worm) and flips out when I leave my hand resting on his side (was he held down as part of a "punishment"?) but he still has some separation anxiety, intestinal issues and overall nervous behavior. 

The shoe thing was pretty easy to deal with - step out of my shoes instead of taking them off by hand until he trusts me enough to know I'm not going to beat him.  I then started by putting my hands near my feet when I stepped out of my shoes, then touching my shoes when I take them off, etc.  I moved slowly toward taking my shoes off with my hands and now it's not an issue.  The other day I accidentally knocked Wolfey in the head with my shoe (he was just too close when I was putting my shoes on for work) and he didn't even react.  What a change! 

Other issues have improved progressively as well, but there's a lot we're still working on.  As I figure out this whole cooking for Wolfey thing his behavior is improving, too; I guess it's true what they say about everything being related.  I'm lucky I decided to give this a try, because my awesome pup is happier, healthier and better behaved than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment