Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sweet potato fries

As I was driving home from work last night, my best friend (we'll just call her Bestie for now, since I haven't done a proper introduction yet, nor have I put any thought into a blog name for her) called.  We chatted for a while, catching up, venting about our most recent frustrations (mine was with buying printer ink.  Seriously, hp, how many different sizes of ink cartridges do you really need to make?) and rejoicing in the fact that her baby is learning to have a "normal" sleep schedule.  As we were talking, she was making dinner - pulled chicken barbecue and sweet potato fries.  Yum!  In fact, so yum that she inspired me to stop at the grocery store and pick up some sweet potatoes!  I went straight home, pulled some chicken out of the freezer and sliced the sweet potatoes, promptly slicing open my thumb, as well.  Ouch.  Please, someone remind me to splurge on the mandolin with the finger protector next time :(  But dinner was awesome!  I added some coleslaw to the meal and Wolfey and I stuffed ourselves :)  Of  course, Wolfey didn't get any slaw dressing since it has sugar in it, but from the smile on his face, I don't think he even noticed it was missing! 

I'm still learning how to handle this whole cooking for the dog thing, though.  Wild dogs establish a hierarchy in which the higher up dogs eat first and the lower dogs get what's left.  Most dog trainers will tell you that the people should eat first and the dog(s) second so the dog knows where s/he stands in the hierarchy.  Makes sense to me.  But Wolfey knows he's going to get my leftovers and whines the whole time I'm eating.  I hate to hear my baby cry and it makes it really hard not to give him little scraps here and there.  I'm reading a training book right now, but so far it's NO help.  I'm open to input!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, I'm thinking just feed him while you're eating to stop the whining! It will make the experience better for both of you and he's already so well behaved, I think you can give in on this one point!
    BBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right, but I'd hate to have him begging company for food. Besides, do you remember the cookie incident? We don't need him taking food right out of little kids' hands again!

      Delete