Thursday, March 21, 2013

The food sensitivities strike again

I thought I had it all figured out.  Wheat, almond, peanut, corn and tomato free for me; lactose free for Man and our middle child.  Then birthdays rolled around.  I nailed it for the girls' birthdays, but Man's birthday is Monday and he's making things a little more complicated.  He wants carrot cake.  Not only does he want carrot cake, but he claims "I can tell when it's from a box."  I know he didn't say this to make it difficult or to challenge me to make the perfect carrot cake, but I also know he's not a big sweets person, so if I'm going to make something for him, I want to make it RIGHT!  So I'm surfing the internet, pouring over different carrot cake recipes and trying to figure out how to make them wheat and dairy free and I'm finding the allergens/sensitivities aren't the problem...it's the pineapple!!  I've learned how to take just about any recipe and make the necessary alterations to accommodate our food sensitivities, but what about things we just think are gross?  I mean, who wants pineapple in a cake?  Unless, maybe, it were a pineapple upside down cake?  And even then, forget the pineapples and just give me the cake!  Can you tell I'm not a fan of pineapples?  So if anyone out there knows of a good, wheat, almond, peanut, corn, tomato, lactose and PINEAPPLE free carrot cake recipe, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment