Monday, March 25, 2013

OMC!!

Oh, My Crepes, that is! I haven't had crepes since I learned of my allergies and I have to admit, it's one of the few wheat products I really missed. Well, today is Man's birthday so I decided to try something different. I made lactose free crepes for Man and our middle child and wheat free crepes for me. And both were amazing! I used a basic crepe recipe and just made some alterations for each of us.

Crepes
1 1/2 c flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 T melted butter
2 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 t vanilla
Whisk together all ingredients and cook small scoops in pan with additional melted butter.

For Man's crepes, I substituted almond milk for the milk and yogurt butter for the butter. Since all we had as vanilla almond milk, I cut back on the vanilla and the sugar. I tried to cook them in yogurt butter but it doesn't melt properly and I ended up with a torn up mess stuck to the skillet. I determined it really does have to be done with butter, and thankfully that small amount doesn't affect Man.

For mine, I substituted King Arthur's gluten free multi-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 t xantham gum for the flour and cooked as usual. They were AMAZING!! I will definitely be doing this again! I have to admit, making two different types of crepes, plus sausage, plus fried apples for five was a bit much and I didn't get to sit down until everyone else was done, so it will be a while before I do this with the kids again, but it was so great to do something special for Man on his birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment