Saturday, February 9, 2013

The not so evil stepmother

I just went into full on stepmom mode.  I'm painting the girls' room before we move Man in next weekend and I ran to Hobby Lobby before work this morning to pick up a few extras for their room (think glitter letters to spell out their names!).  On the way back Man called and said his oldest was upset but wouldn't talk to him about it.  She kept giving him one-liners about stuff they'd already talked about but wouldn't really tell him what the issue was.  I asked to talk to her and we had a heart to heart about what was bothering her.  I spent a good twenty minutes on the phone talking through the problem with her and before we got off the phone I asked if she was okay with me telling her dad what's going on.  We talked about how, even thought Daddy and I don't keep secrets from each other, sometimes we need to be able to have girl talk, and boys don't need to know about all that stuff.  She agreed that I could tell Man what was going on and put him on the phone.  It was only then that I realized I hadn't run it by him before I offered to keep his girls' secrets!  Thankfully he's totally on board with me being the girls' confidante and was appreciative that I was able to help her through this instead of being upset that I offered to not tell him everything!  This whole sharing everything thing is going to take some getting used to, but I am so lucky to love a man who is willing to work with me while I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment