Monday, February 4, 2013

Bath day

Wolfey has always hated his bath but is so well behaved that he tolerates it fairly well.  He hides from me when he sees I'm preparing for bath time but once I get him in the tub he just stands there with a frowny face while I scrub him.  Lolly, on the other hand, is super simple to get into the bath, but once she's there she tries to escape from the tub, knock the shampoo out of my hand (she was successful once, sending half of a $10 bottle of shampoo down the drain!) and generally be a turd.  When Lolly first came to be with us I would do her bath first, just because I didn't know how she was going to handle the bath.  The problem with that was I would have to drag Wolfey out from under the bed, which was hard on both of us.  Then, for a long time I did Wolfey's bath first to save him some anxiety and let him relax while Lolly was in the tub.  The problem with that was that both dogs seemed rotten while in the bath tub.  Wolfey was a super grump and then, by comparison to Wolfey, Lolly just seemed that much worse.  Yesterday, I tried something new.  I did Lolly's bath first, and she didn't seem so bad, because I wasn't already tired of giving dogs baths and my back didn't already hurt from bending over the tub.  Yes, she was rotten (she even escaped from the tub) but I was able to laugh it off because I was in a better mood.  Then, rather than dragging Wolfey out from under the bed, I went and did some other household chores until he came out on his own.  It was easier to get him in the tub, and by comparison to Lolly, he seemed like an angel in the bath!  It took longer to do bath day this way, but it was sooooo much more pleasant!  I'll have to plan a little better if I'm going to keep this up (I generally do baths before I leave for work so I don't have wet dogs trying to snuggle with me!) but I think it's going to be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment