Sunday, September 9, 2012

4. A. M.

I haven't slept through the night since Lolly came, nor have I slept past about 6:30 in the morning.  Then Friday night I had company until nearly 2 AM, was up several times during the night (thanks to my lovely pup) and back up at 7 AM to go to work Saturday morning.  Needless to say, I'm pretty exhausted.  I went out to dinner with a friend of mine last night and got home around 9:30.  Sadly, despite the fact that it was Saturday night, I was in bed before 10:00.  I couldn't believe how good the dogs were being, either.  I gave Lolly a bone that kept her busy for a while and Wolfey snuggled in next to me.  I think he was enjoying the fact that Lolly was occupied and he could actually get me to himself for once!  I crashed hard and must have been sound asleep, because I didn't even know Lolly was in the room until she launched herself off the bed and go barreling down the hall, barking at something.  Since Lolly doesn't usually bark I got up to check the house and realized I'd left the back door open (the screen door was shut), so I closed and locked it and stumbled back to bed around 12:30 AM.  I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow, but was jolted awake again when both dogs started barking around 2:00.  I usually leave the bedroom door open so they can come and go as they please, but in the past shutting the door has helped Wolfey settle in, so I got up again, closed the door and promptly returned to slumberland.  Around 3:30, Lolly started making this weird sound where she would growl really low, building until she finally let out a bark.  I thought she must have been having a bad dream, comforted her and tried to go back to sleep, but she continued for the next half hour.  I finally got up and closed the window (the only remaining access to the "outside world") and realized that my neighbors were outside, lights blazing, laughing and talking and that must be what Lolly was hearing...at 4:00 in the morning!!  I love sleeping with the windows open on these cool nights, but I think tonight I'll make sure the neighbors are in for the night before settling in!

No comments:

Post a Comment