Thursday, April 25, 2013

Alright, internets, work your magic!

I follow a few other blogs and they're always talking about the benefits of social media and some of the awesome things they've been able to do because of the contacts they've made through their blogs.  Rebecca over at Fosterhood in NYC has created a college fund for her foster kids, as well as found much needed baby items and gained support and child care through her blog, Jen at Cake Wrecks organizes a Christmas charity drive every year and Jenny Lawson, better known as The Bloggess (and my current addiction), has put out countless requests for her many readers to donate $0.11 here or $1.00 there, generally for something ridiculously funny, but she always ends up using the funds to support charitable organizations.  Jenny even went so far as to perform a Christmas miracle one year, raising over $42,000.00 to help get Christmas presents for children who would otherwise have gone without.

So now it's my turn to ask for your help.  I try not to talk about my foster kids much, mostly to respect their right to confidentiality, but also because, since they don't live with my anymore, there's not as much to talk about.  Well, now there is something.  And it's BIG.  The Girl has had a really rough go of things and has changed placements more than 14 times in the past 3 years.  Each time she moves she not only loses connections she made at each place, but she never fails to leave something behind.  Of course, when she has left the two foster homes she has been in (mine and one other) we have ensured that her items were eventually returned to her, but the things left at facilities are just gone.  This includes a stereo I bought her, a brand new winter coat my aunt gave her and tons of clothes and toiletries her other foster mom and I have bought for her over the course of the past two years.  We (her other foster mom) and I went to visit her last night and learned that she is scheduled for yet another transfer next week, and that she has just about no clothing to take with her (her current placement provides clothes but the new placement will not).  I promised her a shirt or two before she goes, but I just can't afford to buy her yet another complete wardrobe.  This is where you, my fabulous readers, come in.  Though I hate to ask for help, and feel like I'm accepting charity, I know I can't get The Girl everything she needs on my own.  I'm trying to figure out how to set something up on PayPal for anyone who wants to contribute to a fund to buy The Girl the clothes, toiletries and supplies she will need for her new placement.  Although I haven't figured it out just yet (if anyone is computer savvy enough to know, please help!), I would happily accept donations sent to my post office box:
Karen Pope
PO Box 22
Moores Hill, Indiana 47032

Please know that The Girl and I, as well as everyone involved in her case, greatly appreciate any donation, no matter how large or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment