Thursday, April 12, 2012

Meet Professor Wordsmith

I met Professor Wordsmith on a blind date.  We had an incredible time, talked for hours and stayed out way too late.  He was funny, smart, sensitive and extremely interesting.  He's not traditionally good looking but there's something about him that's incredibly sexy.  Definitely the kind of guy you want a second date with!  We talked daily after that and I felt like we really got to know one another.  He shared a lot about his background, his family and growing up in foster care and I really felt like we were hitting it off.  He explained that his mom committed suicide as a result of some mental health issues that are, unfortunately, hereditary and that he has been suffering from the same issues, but that he is working hard to overcome his disorder and is very proactive in his treatment.  I felt as if, between my background in mental health and his drive to rise above his disease, we could work together to beat this thing.  Our second date was a week later, and once again it was wonderful.  Then he fell off the face of the earth.  Not literally, of course, but I didn't hear from him for close to a week.  I thought it was bizarre but I also know that, having grown up in foster care, he has some attachment issues, he is struggling to fight his mental health issues and he has just gone through a really difficult divorce, so I tried to be understanding.  We continued in this pattern - talk for several days, have an awesome date, fall off the face of the earth, talk for several days,... - for several weeks before I finally told Wordy that I really like him, and I'd like to help him through his hard time, but I can't have a relationship like that.  We agreed to just be friends and things have kind of leveled off (contact wise) since then. 

Wordy is a writer, too.  I've never had the privilege of reading anything he's written, but we've talked for hours on end, so I know he is a wordsmith (hence the name).  He is very self conscious about the fact that he is "uneducated" (his word, not mine) but he is incredibly intelligent and often uses words that I don't know.  Thankfully I'm smart enough to figure out the meaning from the context, but he never fails to impress me with his aptidude for the English language.  He really likes to talk, too.  People say I talk too much, but when Professor Wordsmith is around, I barely get a word in.  Thankfully he's fascinating, so I don't mind listening to him talk all day!  In case you haven't picked up on it yet, his pseudonym is a direct result of his general wordiness, but is also somewhat of his doing.  When I asked Wordy for his permission to write about him, he asked if he could make up his own fake name; of course I obliged.  He came up with several names, all beginning with "Professor" and all horribly inappropriate.  He may be funny, sensitive and intelligent but he's still a guy!  I kept the "Professor" but added my own ending.  We're trying to keep it PG here!  He is such an incredible person and it's really interesting to have a glimpse into the other side of foster care.  I am so lucky to love someone who can teach me so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment