Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I realized this morning that Wolfey is almost trained to a fault.  When he was still a puppy, I took him to my grandparents' house with me for a family gathering.  My cousin, who was just a toddler at the time, was walking around with a cookie and Wolfey took it right out of her hand.  I decided then and there that Wolfey needed a command that let him know it was okay to take food, so that if he didn't hear that command, he would leave the food, no matter how tempting.  It took a while of working with him, but he now knows that he can't take food from someone, eat a treat or even lick a plate without me saying "okay."  It seems that he thinks his homemade food is a treat, because he has taken it upon himself to apply this rule to his dinner, now, too.  I'm good with that, so I play along.  This morning, though, I got distracted and forgot to say okay.  I was doing other things around the kitchen and noticed that Wolfey was standing there, staring at his food and panting (probably drooling all over his breakfast!).  It took me a second to figure it out, but finally I said, "okay" and Wolfey just about inhaled his food.  Poor guy probably thought this was some new form of torture!

No comments:

Post a Comment