Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A break from our regularly scheduled programming

I'm involved in a really amazing non profit organization called The Arc of Dearborn County (check us out at www.dearborncountyarc.org or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Arc-of-Dearborn-County/) which is a group of families and supportive people who aim to build a truly integrated community for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  We partner with various community members to heighten awareness of people who have developmental disabilities and to provide opportunities for enrichment and dignity to occur within their lives.  This is a cause that is near and dear to my heart, as I have a cousin with Down Syndrome and my younger sister would have had some pretty severe disabilities, had she made it past her first birthday.  The next two weeks are jam packed with events and activities for The Arc, so it has been on my mind even more than usual.  For the next two weeks I am participating in our summer life skills camps, where we take 10-12 15-25 year olds with intellectual and developmental disabilities into the community to work on practical and social skills for life.  At the end of these two weeks, we are hosting "Spice up your Summer," a ladies' night out style fundraising event.  It's sure to be a good time, but it has been lots of work to put it together (check out the event on our website or our facebook event page, at https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/289049704513334/).  Yesterday was the first day of camp and it was a great time, but absolutely exhausting.  I know by the end of the two weeks I will be more than ready for a break and to get back to my routine, but for now I'm really enjoying getting to know the kids and hopefully making a difference in their summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hey - can I just say, I'm glad you're with The Arc for many reasons! Thanks for all the work you've put into the FB page to help make our event a success--and, I believe it will be! P.S. - if we get a break in the evening, let's sample some more of the EU wine! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I'm glad I'm involved with The Arc, too. It's keeping me crazy busy, but I'm really enjoying it :) I can't wait to see how all this work turns out next week! And I'm definitely in for more wine!

      Delete