Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dear Mom and Dad,

I came home this evening to find that despite the fact that he was supposed to do it Sunday the neighbor boy had not mowed my yard.  Because you taught me that if I want something done right I better do it myself the importance of taking care of myself and never putting my responsibilities on anyone else, I realized I should stop paying the kid and do it my own damn self! I needed to mow my own lawn and immediately headed out to do so.  I'm sure the neighbors thought I was a little crazy, mowing in my nice clean work clothes and my scummy old yard-work shoes, but it was getting dark, so I figured I better get my butt in gear and get out there as quickly as possible took a page from your playbook and did what needed to be done.  Thank you for teaching me such determination.  When I started the mower, it made a funny rattling sound, but my mower has always made funny noises, so I didn't worry too much; however, the longer I mowed the worse the noise became, until I ran over Wolfey's bone and it jarred the mower it made a weird banging noise and the blade stopped spinning.  I remembered that the neighbor boy was supposed to sharpen the mower blade the last time he mowed, so I decided to make sure he had tightened it completely.  Mom, I credit you 100% with my can-do attitude and I am so glad you taught me to be fearless.  I threw a little hissy fit flipped the mower on its side and got right in there to see what was wrong.  The blade was so lose I could tighten the bolt by hand!  I know you sometimes get frustrated with Dad for forcing me into encouraging me to buy the heavier ladder, the longer drill bit or the bigger socket set, but last night I was so thankful for those extra sockets!  I about broke the bolt trying to get it as tight as humanly possible tightened the blade and kept right on mowing.  I didn't stop until it was pitch black outside I mowed until 10:00pm and still didn't finish, but you taught me to persevere and I resolve to finish mowing tonight when I get home from work.  Thank you for molding me into the capable, self sufficient, socket set owning woman I am today!
Ever indebted,
Karen

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness - this made me laugh. Not that you had such a frustrating time, but this has been my mowing experience all season! Last week it took THREE DAYS to cut grass. Not a good experience either, so you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has had an experience like this at one point in their life, which is why it is so funny! It usually takes me just under an hour to mow my yard (I only have a third of an acre but there's a lot of trimming including a tree line in the back) and this time it took me two days! I finally finished around 9:45 last night. Crazy! I hope your season gets easier :)

      Delete