Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Then again, I'm not that bright

  In all my research, I've found that larger chunks of meat are good for dogs, as it slows their eating and it's more like eating a wild animal, but if I keep the food bigger, the dogs eat around the vegetables and only eat the meat.  So, when I make dog food, I put everything through the food processor.  When I first started making my own dog food, I would take the ground meat, vegetables, fruits, etc. out of the processor and stir it together with a big spoon.  It worked well enough, but because raw ground meat is sticky, it took forever and my arms would end up feeling like jello after making a big batch.  I decided it was too much work, and started using the food processor to mix things together, but the food was almost too well ground and reminded me of over-chewed meat.  You know, how when you've got a tough piece of meat and you just keep chewing and chewing and it doesn't seem to get any better and finally you spit out this big, grey/brown blob of goop?  Appetizing, huh?  I know that's not what it is, but still, I couldn't bring myself to feed my dogs goop.  So last night, not wanting goop and being too tired to deal with spoon exhaustion, I broke out the potato masher to mix a batch of dog food.  Why didn't I do this before?!?  It was so easy!  Things got nicely mixed without becoming goopy and it didn't take nearly as long, or nearly as much effort, as stirring it with a spoon.  This will definitely be my method of mixing from now on.  I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment