Friday, October 26, 2012

Good things come to those who wait

Wolfey and I used to have a really nice wake up routine.  The first time the alarm went off he'd come snuggle up to me.  The second time it went off I'd pet him, we'd play or snuggle and have some good Mommy/Wolfey time.  The third time it went off he'd jump down off the bed and I'd get up for the day.  It worked out well, with both of us getting what we needed - some snuggle time, some fun time and a relaxing way to wake.  Since Lolly has joined us, the routine has morphed several times.  The first change was as soon as she came.  Lolly would wake me around 4am (the alarm doesn't go off until about 7:15) and I would spend the next couple of hours fending off her "love" until I finally gave in and got up.  Wolfey would generally get neglected during this time.  Gradually I got her to let me sleep until about 6:00, and we continue to waver between 6:00 and 6:30.  This, I can handle.  Still, the process of waking up has changed a few times.  For a while Lolly would still attack me and force me to pet her.  From the time she woke up until I finally let her out she would stand on me, climb over me and generally insist that I pay attention to her.  We went through a phase where I could pet her for a little bit and get her to snuggle in so I could snooze for a bit, but that didn't last long.  During most of this time, Wolfey was still being neglected in the morning, only because if he tried to join in Lolly would push him away.  Finally, Wolfey got up the nerve to try to get in on the morning attention and refused to let himself but pushed off.  After several days of Wolfey standing his ground Lolly conceded, but would only let Wolfey sit or lay next to me, and ensured that she got the majority of the attention by laying directly on top of me.  This morning, we had another (hopefully final) alteration to our routine.  Wolfey hung back until Lolly got settled in, mostly next to me.  He walked right up, looked at Lolly, and claimed his rightful place - laying right across my belly!  Wolfey has had to wait more than two months, but he has finally reclaimed his place as Mommy's snuggle pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment