Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bonnie, Bunny, Benny

The kids got along great last night.  Yes, my dogs are my kids!  There was one little growling match when Bonnie got a little antsy while I was making dinner, but Wolfey put her in her place and that was the end of that.  She is definitely taking cues from him, which is great, since Wolfey is so well behaved.  We also had an incident where Bonnie pooped on the bed in the spare room, but looking back I see that she asked to go out and I didn't know what she wanted.  She had pawed at the back door, but since the glass was open she was scratching at the screen.  I yelled at her so she didn't rip my screen and went on with my day, not knowing that was her signal.  Problem solved, the comforter is in the washer as we speak, and there is now a bell on the back door so I won't miss it the next time she asks!  In fact, I only had to show her the bell one time and she figured it out (she rang the bell and I came running to let her out...hmm...maybe it's me who's being trained here!).  Someone must have used that with her before, so I'm confident that won't be an issue any more.
Now, on to the question of the day.  I'm really not a fan of her name, and she doesn't respond to it very well anyway, so I'm wondering how big of a deal it would be to change it.  In discussing this with BBS last night, she suggested Bunny, so it's an easy change (Bonnie probably won't even notice the difference) and I would have two animal-name animals.  Cute, but perhaps a bit too cute?  Then this morning it hit me - what about Benny?  I went to Ball State, so it could be short for Beneficence, so it would be close to her original name and actually mean something to me.  The only problem there is that every time I say it, I start singing "B-b-b-Benny and the Jets!"  So...thoughts?  Name suggestions?  I'm open!

UPDATE: I just learned that Bonnie was only named a few months ago, when she came to Tails of Hope (the organization through which I received her), which explains why she doesn't respond to her name.  I wish I knew her original name, but now I'm just that much more motivated to find a name that does fit!  I had planned to hit PetSmart on my way home to buy her a tag with her name and my phone number, but maybe I'll just put one of Wolfey's on her for now (he has a spare since he lost it and then we found it a couple weeks later) and buy her a tag of her own once we have a better name for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment