Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pretty puppies

I took the dogs to be groomed yesterday at my aunt's dog grooming business.  They were both super excited to get in the car, but then super stressed to be left somewhere.  Wolfey hadn't been left somewhere for grooming in years, and I'm not sure Lolly has ever been groomed, but with Lolly's split toenails and Wolfey's skunky encounter, I figured they could both use a little cleaning up.  When I dropped the dogs off I realized I had failed to bring leashes.  Not a huge deal, since they're both so good about staying with me, but I was a little worried about whether there would be other dogs inside and how my dogs would react, so I kept a tight hold on their collars.  I also realized this would present a problem for taking the dogs for a walk with Mom later in the day.  Thankfully it wasn't an issue at the groomer's, but I went ahead and bought them each a new leash while I was there.  After all, you can never have too many leashes!  I was looking at the standard fabric leashes when the groomer pointed out some leather ones that were hanging by the door.  I assumed they would be super expensive, so I hadn't even considered them, but she told me they were on sale, and were even cheaper than the fabric ones.  Of course, I bought two.  Taking the dogs for a walk last night, I learned that leather leashes are FABULOUS!!  Wolfey has always been such a good walker that I've always used a retractable leash and given him lots of freedom, but Lolly is not so well behaved on a leash.  She loves to walk, she just doesn't get the concept of keeping up with me and not running into me.  I found that I had so much more control with the leather leash than a fabric one, which is what I've been using for Lolly, and tons more control than with a retractable.  I think because the leash is stiff, it reminds her that I'm at the other end.  Now my doggies look pretty, smell nice, have healthier toenails and walk more nicely.  I love it, and I'm so lucky to have an awesome aunt who probably knew this long ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment