Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lots

What a crazy couple of days! This is going to be a long one; bear with me. Monday evening I went to dinner with a friend of mine. After only one bite, my throat closed up and I couldn't swallow anything. It's not uncommon for me to have this happen, but usually I can take a few deep breathes, my throat will relax and I can go on with my meal. This time, it just wouldn't loosen up. My friend finished his meal and we parted ways, with me still not having eaten. By 9:30 I was starving, thirsty and exhausted. I still couldn't even swallow my own spit. I was afraid I would choke on my own saliva during the night so I called my mom to get her input and she told me to head to the ER. I arrived around 11:00 and had to wait to be seen until after 1am. By the time the doctor finally came in I was feeling better and thought I could just go home. He asked me to take a drink of water just to be sure I was good to go and no sooner than I set the cup down did it come back up. No going home for me; the doctor said I was being admitted and sent the nurse in to hook me up to an IV for fluids. I spent the night in the hospital and the whole time I was worrying about Wolfey being home alone all night. Poor guy! In the morning my dad came to visit and brought me clean clothes and the oh-so-wonderful BBS went out to the house to take care of Wolfey. I seriously don't know what I would do without her! The nurse had told me I would be going home that evening, so all I asked her to do was let him out to potty and put out his breakfast and I would take care of everything else in the evening, but she and the kids hated the idea of him being home alone until who knew when after being alone over night, so they took him back to their house and played with him all day. How sweet are those monkeys?!? I finally had a scope down my throat around 3:00 (I hadn't eaten in 24 hours at that point and was NOT a happy camper) and they found that my throat was still constricted and I had chicken from the night before lodged in my throat. They removed the chicken and stretched my throat a bit with the scope. I'm so thankful BBS took Wolfey back to her house, because I wasn't allowed to go home last night. After being sedated so late in the day, the nurse recommended that I not be alone last night, so I stayed at my parents' house and BBS dropped Wolfey off to me there. I'm on a clear liquids diet for 24 hours and then a soft food diet for a week but at least I'm not at the hospital! Dad is dropping me off to my car in a bit and I'm heading home to rest. I'm so lucky my family stepped in and took care of Wolfey and I when I couldn't!

6 comments:

  1. That is so scary! Glad you are ok. It's always reassuring to know that your family will take care of you AND your dog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know what I would do without them. Wolfey and I are both exhausted after all the chaos, but we were both so well taken care of. It's really awesome to see just how loved you are when so many people step up to help!

      Delete
  2. Awe, shucks! It was nothing!

    Love,
    Your BBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been nothing to you, but to me it was knowing that my baby was happy, healthy and not hungry! You are amazing! Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Will you be calling Dr. S.? Glad you are ok. Keep me posted! DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a follow up with the gi doctor that did my procedure in 3 weeks. Depending on how that goes, I may or may not need to call your doc. Super ironic, though, that I had just gotten that number from you when all this happened! Thank you so much for all your support, encouragement and information!

      Delete